Many people don’t think to see a chiropractor after an accident.
Most go straight to an attorney. But the truth is, most attorneys will send you to a chiropractor after an auto accident! This is because chiropractic care by a sports chiropractor or car accident chiropractor is the best way to recover from many injuries.
Personal injury accidents happen in many ways: auto accident, slip and fall, assault, Uber accident, Lyft accident, bicycle accident and many more. If you have been involved in a personal injury accident your main priority should be to seek medical treatment at a sports chiropractic clinic. Then, you can start looking for legal counsel and getting on with your life.
Sports chiropractors are professionals in treating sports injuries and personal injuries. They will help you understand the extent of your injuries and make sure you receive proper treatment. Sports chiropractors are the best chiropractors to help recover from accidents and are often considered car accident chiropractors
Chiropractors treat over a third of all accident victims involved in personal injury because most car accident injuries and personal injuries include disc protrusions, whiplash, facet syndrome, radiculopathy, bone fractures, bone bruising, and strains. Chiropractors are trained to treat these types of injuries specifically. Plus, they have the resources to make referrals to pain doctors and orthopedic doctors if conservative treatment fails.
Why See a Car Accident Chiropractor?
Chiropractors, specifically car accident chiropractors, offer a comprehensive service to evaluate and treat personal injuries. They are experts in rehabilitating injuries. Because there is overlap in the way sports injuries and personal injuries occur, the approach to recovery is very similar. The treatments are individualized so you can return to your regular daily activities pain-free. Treatments may include:
- Manual therapy– chiropractic adjustments help to reintroduce normal motion into the spine or joint after trauma.
- Physical therapy– chiropractors are certified in physiotherapy and specialize in strength and conditioning rehab to help strengthen injured muscles and stabilize ligaments and joints.
- Sports Massage– Sports Chiropractors and car accident chiropractors use soft tissue sports massage to help alleviate spasms and break up scar tissue, allowing the spine and joints to function optimally. By alleviating muscle spasms, car accident chiropractors can alleviate the stress and compression placed on the spinal joints, discs, and nerves, thereby improving motion and eliminating pain and stiffness.
- Imaging– Referrals for every individual involved in a personal injury accident are absolutely necessary. It is vital to obtain an MRI to gain a clear picture of bones, muscles, ligaments, nerves, and tendons. Your provider is of no use to you if they don’t know what the underlying cause may be. Advanced imaging helps to determine if more advanced care is necessary.
Medical bills are the scariest part of a personal injury car accident, slip-and-fall or bicycle accident. You are not at fault but you have debt is on your shoulders because of your injuries.
It is crucial to see a chiropractor who handles third-party billing and will hold the insurance companies accountable for the medical bills and/or refer you to an attorney who will fight for your health and your rights.
Insurance policies play a huge part in your treatment. First, let’s look at how an insurance policy plays a role in your treatment by a car accident chiropractor for your personal injury accident. When people think they have full coverage, they are often misguided.
- Liability insurance – this is the coverage that California requires you to have in the event that you hit another party with your vehicle. It pays for the other driver’s car and injuries if you cause an accident. The minimum policy is $15,000. These policies can go up to $25k, $50k, $100k, and more.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM) – This is by far the most important coverage for you to have to protect yourself, and it only costs about $100 more per year to get the maximum coverage. In the event that you are hit by a person with no insurance or someone with a $15k policy and your injuries and medical bills exceed $15k, this will help cover those costs. It is important to note that you cannot have more UM coverage than liability coverage. If you want a higher UM coverage to protect yourself, you have to protect others as well. We recommend getting a policy with at least $100k of UM coverage.
- Medical Payments Coverage (MED PAY) – Med pay is very important to have. In the event that you get into a car accident and seek chiropractic care or other medical care, you can use this toward your bills. Even if the accident was not your fault you can use this toward your doctor bills and pay 100% for an ambulance and emergency visit if you have the right amount of coverage. Some insurances offer up to $100k Med Pay coverage. We recommend at least $20k Med Pay Coverage for only an extra $100 for the year.
After a personal injury accident, you should feel that the car accident chiropractor considers your health and injuries to be a priority. The chiropractor should ask detailed questions to better understand your personal injury accident and how it affects you on a day-to-day basis.
Ultimately, you want a chiropractor who has your best interest in mind and also wants to find out exactly what is wrong with you and can refer to the appropriate doctors to help with your car accident injuries. You should not be seeing a chiropractor solely. There may be more to your injuries than just pain, stiffness, and weakness. Personal injury accidents involve trauma, and it’s in your best interest to find out how much trauma you sustained and what more can be done to fix your injuries.
Additionally, if the MRI results are not what you expected, understand that if chiropractic treatment does not show major improvement after 6-8 weeks, your doctor will send you to a pain management doctor or orthopedic doctor for at least a consultation to explore options for more invasive treatment. Another round of 6 weeks of treatment may follow that consultation at the discretion of the doctor. Their decision may be to complete a full 12 weeks of therapy based on medical guidelines before invasive treatments are performed.
Get an Attorney Referral
Quality car accident chiropractors also care about who represents their clients. Your car accident chiropractor will set you up to work with car accident attorney that is aggressive and dedicated to getting you compensation for your injuries.
Not all attorneys are alike. Some of the smallest firms can be the most powerful firms. The attorney your chiropractor may refer you to will certainly be one of the most aggressive car accident law firms in your state.
When a car accident chiropractor makes a referral for your case to these types of attorneys, it can help strengthen your legal claim. When you are not at fault and the other insurance company wants to claim that their party was the victim, you want the type of attorney’s that won’t take any excuse from insurance companies.
When you have an aggressive attorney at the end of your case, you get a lot more than just medical treatment and leverage. Depending on your policy and your injuries, the attorney you work with should be able to gain maximum compensation for your pain and suffering based on the third-party liability policy limits and your uninsured motorist coverage.
The Benefits of Car Accident Chiropractors
- Invisible Injuries: After a car accident, you will experience pain either immediately or up to 72 hours later. You may experience whiplash symptoms, headache, dizziness, neck pain, concussion symptoms, and even nausea. Why these symptoms occur requires more in-depth analysis. Recommendations to receive an MRI of the neck, head, brain, or back are vital to understanding your injuries and setting the foundation for your treatment.
- Manage Inflammation: Inflammation after a car accident, bicycle accident, or slip-and-fall is the body’s natural response to injury. Inflammation brings healing properties to the area to help repair the body following a car accident. A sports chiropractor and car accident chiropractor can use tools at their disposal to relieve the pressure and minimize pain caused by excessive inflammation.
- Manage Concussions: Concussions are not exclusive to sports injuries. Concussions are a type of traumatic brain injury that can be mild or severe. After a car accident injury, you may start to experience symptoms of nausea, dizziness, light sensitivity, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), balance problems, irritability, or difficulty seeing or reading. The first step should be to screen for a concussion, followed by a brain MRI and a VNG (video nystagmography) test. Following that, you may need a neurologist along with a neuropsychologist referral to see the extent of your concussion brain injury.
- Scar Tissue Resolution: When muscles get injured, collagen fills in the cracks to repair the micro tears. The scar tissue is only 80% as strong as normal muscle. The scar tissue builds up in an unorganized fashion and can cause problems. With tools and manual therapy, the scar tissue can be reorganized or decreased. This allows for improved muscle function and pain relief.
- No Opioids: Prescription drug use is on the rise. While injuries are painful, medication should only be used until you begin conservative treatment. Conservative sports chiropractic care can help reduce the pain, and in turn, reduce the need for costly and dependency-forming drugs.
- Restore Spinal Motion: The combination of strength training, stretching, and chiropractic manipulation has been proven to be beneficial at restoring vital spine motion.
- Long-Term Benefits: When you go to a chiropractor who has experience, you can rest assured that they are invested in your recovery in the long term. Even minor injuries can have lengthy effects, so proactive care from a dedicated professional is a must.
If you were involved in a minor or major car accident, motorcycle accident, or bicycle accident and have not seen a chiropractor, now would be a good time. At Performance Rx Sports Care, we specialize in treating sports injuries and car accident injuries.
The only difference between a sports injury and a car accident injury is about two tons of metal. Both cause injury and need to be tackled right away in order to prevent those injuries from developing into more serious chronic issues. Chronic conditions cause years of distress, but by taking action quickly, you can prevent unnecessary discomfort and expenses.
It is important to know who to turn to, and Performance Rx Sports Care is here to help guide you every step of the way.